Control Hub OS Update - Version 1.1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Hub OS Update - Version 1.1.2

Control Hub Operating System update released today. Version 1.1.2 is available for updating through the REV Hardware Client and download for updating through the Robot Control Console.

Full release notes:
    • Adds support for Auto Channel Selection, where the Control Hub will pick the least busy WiFi channel on the selected WiFi band when it starts up
    • Migrates all users to Auto Channel Selection on the 5 GHz band by default.
      • If you find that you are unable to connect to the Control Hub after updating, you should perform a WiFi Factory Reset by holding down the Control Hub's button as it boots, until you see a colorful light sequence. That will reset the WiFi settings and switch to the 2.4 GHz WiFi band.
    • Allows switching the WiFi band between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz by holding down the Control Hub's button when the hub has been booted for at least 20 seconds
      • If version 5.5 or later of the Robot Controller app is installed, the Control Hub's light will blink magenta when the band is switched to 5 GHz, or yellow when the band is switched to 2.4 GHz.
    • Continuously monitors the WiFi access point status, and will attempt to restart it if it goes down for any reason
    • Continuously monitors the Robot Controller app, and restarts it if it crashes or hangs (requires version 6.1 or later of the Robot Controller app)
    • Allows the Robot Controller app to access the current WiFi band and channel
    • Always backs up the FTC Robot Controller app data before it is uninstalled, in order to preserve WiFi settings
    • Improves WiFi reliability
    • Prevents issue that could cause device to boot into recovery mode
    • Enables use of mouse button in recovery mode

Ever since updating our robot has been VERY unstable. And now we keep getting an emergency stop indicating we need to update the firmware to 1.8.2.

Comment

After powering off the Control Hub and leaving it for a couple minutes then powering it back on this has resolved (again). Quite honestly, it is exhausting dealing with the entire setup. The software that is supposed to enable wireless pushing of the software works about half the time. Often times it doesn't detect the device on the network. It is extremely frustrating when you spend half the time troubleshooting the hardware while teaching members to program. After tonight's session my son made the comment he is ready to take a year off after this one (he is my lead programmer).

Comment

As a workaround, you can develop your OpModes on a RC phone, and then deploy your OpModes to the Control Hub once your bot and your OpModes are production ready.

You can put your Control Hub in Expansion Hub mode during development per this revision of the "Managing a Control Hub" page of the FtcRobotController Wiki:

Disabling/Enabling the Internal Android Controller

Each Control Hub has its own built-in Android Controller. It is possible to enable or disable the Control Hub’s built-in Android controller:
        • When the built-in Android controller is disabled, the Control Hub acts like an Expansion Hub. When the internal controller is disabled, a user can connect an external Android phone to the USB mini (not Type C) port of the Control Hub and use the device just like an Expansion Hub.
        • When the internal Android controller is enabled, the user cannot use the device as an Expansion Hub. Instead, when the built-in Android controller is enabled, the user must use the device as a Control Hub, and the Driver Station must pair to the Control Hub's built-in Android controller.

ULTIMATE GOAL robot reveal coming soon to https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninejabots

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post
          You can put your Control Hub in Expansion Hub mode during development per this revision of the "Managing a Control Hub" page of the FtcRobotController Wiki
          Alec, that information was removed for a reason, and will no longer work with the Control Hub's current software. Disabling the Control Hub's internal Android device is prone to issues, and should not be attempted.

Originally posted by ftcsachse0 View Post
          Ever since updating our robot has been VERY unstable. And now we keep getting an emergency stop indicating we need to update the firmware to 1.8.2.
          That emergency stop is caused by the 3rd-party library RoadRunner. If you do not use that library, the software will allow you to use an older version of the firmware (though it is highly recommended that you update to firmware version 1.8.2).

Originally posted by ftcsachse0 View Post
          The software that is supposed to enable wireless pushing of the software works about half the time. Often times it doesn't detect the device on the network.
          I am aware of an issue where ADB (the software to connect the robot to Android Studio) on the Control Hub will stop responding after you disconnect from its WiFi network while connected to ADB wirelessly. Until that gets fixed, you should have much better results if you try to stay connected to the Control Hub, instead of connecting and disconnecting several times. I don't know if that's the issue you're seeing, but I suspect it is. This issue is not unique to the Control Hub.

Comment

Any time you're having a frustrating experience with one of REV's products, please feel free to email us at [email protected]. We really try to help resolve any issues that our customers have.

Comment

Originally posted by NoahAndrews View Post
              Alec, that information was removed for a reason, and will no longer work with the Control Hub's current software. Disabling the Control Hub's internal Android device is prone to issues, and should not be attempted...
              According to the revision history, the capability for the "Control Hub to act like an Expansion Hub" was first documented on 14 August 2019. To my knowledge, there has been no communication that the capability had been removed and no warning beforehand that the capability was slated for removal. Most importantly, there was no consultation with teams to ascertain whether or not removal of the capability would be a good idea and how the removal would impact teams.

You claim that you are unable to maintain the capability. Somehow your inability maintain the capability exempts you from extending common courtesy and consideration to so-called customers. Maintaining the capability is trivial if the system is architected properly.
              ULTIMATE GOAL robot reveal coming soon to https://www.facebook.com/groups/ninejabots

Comment

The capability was only ever intended for internal development use, and its documentation was an honest mistake that has since been rectified.

Comment

The capability was only ever intended for internal development use, and its documentation was an honest mistake that has since been rectified.
                  That is interesting to hear as last year I was assured we could go to that mode as a fallback position. And if it has been removed you OWE it to your user base to note such not simply remove the how to.

at this point we have given up using the Hardawre Client for ADB connection as in our case it is unreliable. I purchased a long USB extension, and the team zip tied the Rev supplied cable into the bot. This seems to have made things much more stable. A few times the RC a failed to initialize after updates, but much better.

I would note that my team may not bother next year. This experience has left a wretched taste.

Comment

Any time you're having a frustrating experience with one of REV's products, please feel free to email us at [email protected]. We really try to help resolve any issues that our customers have.
                    I did - and quite honestly that has been pointless. You gave me far more without the benefit of the log I sent and spending time asking what color an LED was. (I lost track of the various LED changes. I know green is good anything else and we may as well shut the system off and go get a drink.

Comment

I haven't had a control hub issues, but I have found Rev Robotics to be great at supporting me with a wide range of questions when I call. My opinion is that they really want teams to be successful and learn new things and not just to be a supplier.

Comment

At this point we have found the issue. I was able to find that under some circumstances the Expansion Hub reports a different version string. Since I knew that we had the correct version I removed the check. (RoadRunner Quick Start runs a check in the drive constructor.) Rev sent a Control Hub to try which had the same issue, I sent ours back and one of our Expansion Hubs.

NoahAndrews was able to find the exact sequence of events to cause the issue and is working on a solution.

Comment

Working...
                        X