Laptop specs/brand recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop specs/brand recommendations

New team, we've been granted $600 to purchase a laptop with. Wondering what specs/brands you guys have for your laptops. I figure, with CAD it only makes sense to have 64-bit OS with 4-8 GB Ram. Add in an ok video card and good CPU and should be good I would assume. So what suggestions do you guys have?

CAD software can run on a surprisingly low-spec computer; any laptop you can get for $600 will have the right specs, assuming a non-Intel graphics card (PTC's Creo requires a non-Intel graphics card). I personally like Lenovo, because I like the way their computers look, and they tend to be less frilly.

If this computer is going to also be used for programming the robot, it must have 3 or more USB ports. Anything less is a hassle, because two are consumed by Joysticks, and one is consumed by a Bluetooth dongle or USB cable to the NXT. In FTC, USB hubs are really annoying to deal with, because you frequently move your computer around (inspection, programming in the queuing line, programming in the hallway, etc).
    Max Bareiss

FTC #248 Fatal Error (2009-2013)
    FRC #3142 Aperture (2009-2012)
    FRC #1302 Team Lionheart (2012-2013)
    ZRHS #89 Team Kühlschrank (2011-2013)
    ZRAC #40 Catcher in the Skye (2012)
    ISR 12: Umptysquatch 6
    Rowan University Baja SAE

And mentoring for life.
    --
    11 seasons of FIRST in 6 years, as a student. Many more as a mentor.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinkworks View Post
      CAD software can run on a surprisingly low-spec computer; any laptop you can get for $600 will have the right specs, assuming a non-Intel graphics card (PTC's Creo requires a non-Intel graphics card).
      We have run PTC sucessfully on computers with Intel Integrated Graphics (the one that came with a Core 2 Duo). Maybe it is not officially supported, but it seemes to work well for us.
      --Jacob
      Illinois FTA

Comment

We have run PTC sucessfully on computers with Intel Integrated Graphics
        How old are the computers? I've never had success with any graphics card besides an NVIDIA or AMD/ATI.
        Max Bareiss

And mentoring for life.
        --

Comment

Originally posted by Skinkworks View Post
          How old are the computers?
          I believe the robotics club purchased the computers for the Hot Shot season, so they are four years old.
          --Jacob
          Illinois FTA

Comment

so they are four years old.
            Well, that's interesting. I guess PTC has expanded hardware compatibility since I used Creo last.
            Max Bareiss

And mentoring for life.
            --

Comment

What are the specs of your computer?

Comment

What are the specs of your computer?
                The one that I tried Creo on? I've tried it on a couple computers, I think one of them had an AMD low-end processor, 2GB of RAM, and Windows 7. It was an Acer.
                Max Bareiss

And mentoring for life.
                --

Comment

Ok cool. A desktop computer that can easily run Creo should be fairly cheap then.

Comment

Have you made a decision? We also have to order our laptop yet.

Comment

I know this is an old question but our team is in the same situation of buying a new laptop this year (2015) and I really want to know if Creo will run on an Intel Graphics card or not. Anyone have recent experience or recommendations?

Comment

Well,"Miss Pretzel", Creo should run fine on anything above Intel 4000 graphics. Also, techinically, there is no Graphics card if it is an intel graphics. The graphics would run straight off the CPU, instead of having a discrete GPU. Laptops with a discrete GPU will be more expensive. However, as it is competely seperate from the CPU, it will reduce the load the CPU is carrying, therefore making the program run faster. It should run fine with the Intel 4000, but you will most likely not be able to run many programs at the same time(e.g. Itunes, Google, etc.).

See you at our next meeting, Q.

E

Comment

Working...
                        X