Rover Ruckus: Game Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeRush View Post
    The definition of IN implies crossing the vertical plane and says nothing about touching the surface
    This is true, but I'm not sure what you are posting in reference to from this thread - my response to question 2 in post #2 above? If you are responding to something else, then you can ignore the following. Lol!

I didn't mean that the term "in" implied you need to touch the surface. Just that section 1.5.2 #1 (Landing) says "Each Robot that is in contact with the Playing Field floor and...". Points are generally awarded at the end of the autonomous period, and it is possible that a robot that deployed from a latched start position may end the period on top of scoring elements in the crater, therefor not in direct contact with the floor. This will likely be clarified one way or the other on the Q&A forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby View Post
      I would like an official definition of the word "Launch" as used in <GS9>
      Game Manual 2, section 1.4 titled Definitions - "Launching"

(I like to use the find function if I'm looking for a specific word.)

Comment

Originally posted by FLARE View Post

This is true, but I'm not sure what you are posting in reference to from this thread - my response to question 2 in post #2 above? If you are responding to something else, then you can ignore the following. Lol!

I didn't mean that the term "in" implied you need to touch the surface. Just that section 1.5.2 #1 (Landing) says "Each Robot that is in contact with the Playing Field floor and...". Points are generally awarded at the end of the autonomous period, and it is possible that a robot that deployed from a latched start position may end the period on top of scoring elements in the crater, therefor not in direct contact with the floor. This will likely be clarified one way or the other on the Q&A forum.
        I was referring to the answer to #6 For autonomous parking it says "in" - just a wheel. For End Game you get 15 point for "in" or 25 points for "completely in".

The comment just a wheel implies to me that it is touching the playing surface which is not a requirement for "in" by my reading...

Comment

I am hoping for a definition of "incidental" contact where the manual talks about latching the robot to the lander. Since this will be interpreted by "earthlings", I would like some clarity on what "incidental"means.

Comment

Game Manual Part 2, bottom of page 8 states "Launching : propelling Game Elements into the air.

Comment

somewhere I read that "incidental" means little (no) force being applied to the lander (walls or legs), such that all the weight is being supported by the bracket.

Comment

I see that definition now, never really thought to look for Launching under the "C"'s

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRush View Post
                  The comment just a wheel implies to me that it is touching the playing surface which is not a requirement for "in" by my reading...
                  Oh, ok - got ya! You are (unofficially) correct - you only need to cross the infinitely high vertical plane of an area's boundary with any part of your robot to be "in" that area. As a team, we typically refer to this as "just a wheel needs to be in", though it certainly doesn't need to be an actual wheel nor touch the surface. It didn't come across quite properly in text only. Sorry for the confusion!

Comment

No problem... I enjoy the discussions. Over time I have often wondered how to evaluate (and what the result would be) the total amount of effort that is expended by all the FIRST team members slaving over all the fine details in all of the documents produced by the game design teams.

Comment

I noticed that in order to start the match hanging, you must be at least 4 inches off the ground in addition to being within the 18x18x18 size constraint (and new weight limit), but I am confused as to whether or not you must again be 4 inches off the ground to score the hanging points in the end-game. Anyone else have other takes on this?

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondBowman99 View Post
                        but I am confused as to whether or not you must again be 4 inches off the ground to score the hanging points in the end-game.
                        This will be another question for the official Q&A forum, but since it does not specify the 4" for end-game I believe it will be just the "paper test" - make sure a piece of paper can slide between the robot & mat surface.

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondBowman99 View Post
                          but I am confused as to whether or not you must again be 4 inches off the ground to score the hanging points in the end-game.
                          The game manual states that for a robot to be Latched it must be (among other things) not in contact with the playing field floor. The game manual also encourages teams to make latching obvious. So while you only need to be not touching the floor, being a few inches off the floor is probably a good idea anyway. Of course, this answer is unofficial. For an official answer you would need to ask your question in the Q&A forum.

Comment

For question number 4, we'd like to know that if we drop it off the back of our robot, if that counts as launching, shooting, or throwing.

Comment

Regarding 1.5.2 section 2, is rolling the team marker from outside the depot covered under "etc."? For example, if the robot were to lower a track and let the a team marker roll down the track and make it's way into the depot, is that legal?

Also, regarding 1.5.2 section 3, It says that each robot "In" the crater with receive 10 points for their alliance. Can I get an official definition of "In"? Does it mean that the robot has to break the vertical plain of the crater or does it have to be completely in the crater?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexMadruga View Post
                                ... regarding 1.5.2 section 3, It says that each robot "In" the crater with receive 10 points for their alliance. Can I get an official definition of "In"? Does it mean that the robot has to break the vertical plain of the crater or does it have to be completely in the crater?
                                1.4 Game Definitions

In (Inside) / Completely In (Completely Inside) –
                                An object that has crossed into the upwards vertical (i.e., at a right angle to the Playing Field Floor) extension of a defined Area’s boundary is Inside the Area. An object that is entirely within the upwards vertical extension of a defined Area’s boundary is Completely Inside the Area. The boundary element (tape, wall, markings, etc.) is part of the Area for the purposes of determining Inside and Outside.

Originally posted by AlexMadruga View Post
                                Regarding 1.5.2 section 2, is rolling the team marker from outside the depot covered under "etc."? For example, if the robot were to lower a track and let the a team marker roll down the track and make it's way into the depot, is that legal?
                                As long as the team marker is In the depot (and stays In the depot) when it ceases to be in contact with a part of the bot, the depot will be claimed. Once a team marker is In the depot, it doesn't matter how it is released from the bot, provided it stays In the depot.

Comment

Working...
                                X