Help with motor wire fuses needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with motor wire fuses needed!

Hey guys, earlier today my team had a meeting. Long story short, motors were working, but they only worked well for about 20 seconds, then they slowed to a mere crawl and sounded like a dying trumpet. I, being the courageous self sacrificing hero that I am(and we had the meeting and robot at my house), decided to stay and take off all the electronics and check one at a time. I arrived at the conclusion that one of the motor wires(with fuses) http://www.tetrixrobotics.com/TETRIX...or_Power_Cable , was bad. When it was running normally, the fuse was fine. But when the motor slowed down and started making weird noises, the fuses in the wire became too hot to touch. I changed out the wire with one of our other wires(still with fuses), and got the same result. I have researched this online and found here, quite far down the page (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/36133) that the result could be that I had popped the fuse too much, and that this motor having issues was the result of the wire. But all the wires we had didn't work WHILE IN THE MOTOR 2 PORT! ON BOTH OF OUR MOTOR CONTROLLERS!(By The Way, my team is using the legacy module, as well as the HiTechnic motor controllers) They worked perfectly fine when in the motor 1, and when we move them to the motor 2 port , it just doesn't work.
    Anyway, any questions or possible solutions or any information at all, please respond. We have to get this working ASAP. Thanks. Goodnight.

I would strongly suggest NOT using the fused motor leads. We had one fail in St. Louis during the Get Over It Championship. It cost us a match (we were turned off after autonomous because the motor attached to it smoked and the field crew thought it was our battery) and probably the spot of an alliance captain. The following year in Bowled Over we hadn't learned our lesson and used them again on our robot. For the first half of the event, we could barely run due to them shutting off power to our motors. The team swapped them out over lunch and didn't loose another qualifying match. They cannot handle the currents involved with a heavy competitive robot driven hard, they interrupt the current too soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DJS-SSI View Post
      I would strongly suggest NOT using the fused motor leads. We had one fail in St. Louis during the Get Over It Championship. It cost us a match (we were turned off after autonomous because the motor attached to it smoked and the field crew thought it was our battery) and probably the spot of an alliance captain. The following year in Bowled Over we hadn't learned our lesson and used them again on our robot. For the first half of the event, we could barely run due to them shutting off power to our motors. The team swapped them out over lunch and didn't loose another qualifying match. They cannot handle the currents involved with a heavy competitive robot driven hard, they interrupt the current too soon.
      Thanks. I couldn't find anything about this on the forum. So, i'm going to go switch the cords. Any ideas on why it is only the motor 2 ports?

Comment

We have had the problem you describe. The "fuse" on the motor cable decayes with use. This is especially frustrating because it happens slowly while allowing the motors to still run but at a reduced speed. We have discarded all of these cables.

Comment

Working...
        X