Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Materials

Would a rock be legal as a material?

We were thinking about using a rock to weigh down our marker so that it would stay up straight.

Per <RM01>, a rock is allowed provided that no other rules are violated.

Comment

Alright, thank you.

Comment

We were considering using fishing weights as counterbalance in our original design, thinking a portion would hang evenly below the lander. The dividing line prevents that method, but the fishing weights are readily available and come in a great variety of shapes and weights. You may have a rock that fits your need, but I thought I'd throw out the sinker idea in case you have trouble finding a rock to match your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentor 777 View Post
          We were considering using fishing weights as counterbalance in our original design, thinking a portion would hang evenly below the lander. The dividing line prevents that method, but the fishing weights are readily available and come in a great variety of shapes and weights. You may have a rock that fits your need, but I thought I'd throw out the sinker idea in case you have trouble finding a rock to match your needs.
          I think most fishing weights are lead and would be disallowed.

Comment

I just read that lead is considered a hazardous material in the game manual. I was going to come back here to make sure that was pointed out. Thanks for the correction! I wouldn't want someone going into a competition with a plan that I had mentioned and find out they weren't allowed.

Personally, I think that could probably be challenged, but it would have to be at a very high level since it is specifically mentioned in the game manual. After all, it is a tool people commonly use in the practice of catching fish that they then eat! So, it seems that using one as a counterweight to balance a robot would be a safe use.

Again, thanks for pointing out my error!

Comment

There are non-toxic fishing weights which don't have lead. However usually the density of steel is pretty good and you can cut a piece into a nice rectangle that is easy to bolt to your frame. I suggest don't get fancier materials if you don't have to.

Comment

Hi.

Not sure if this is the right place.
                We found a suction cup, from Ecocup, and wanted to know if we an use it, we would use a DC DC from 12 to 24v to activate it. we where wondering if this would be legal.

This is the technical specification.
                http://www.fixtools.com.ar/pdf/desta...io_destaco.pdf

thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by alxramos View Post
                  Hi.

Not sure if this is the right place.
                  We found a suction cup, from Ecocup, and wanted to know if we an use it, we would use a DC DC from 12 to 24v to activate it. we where wondering if this would be legal.

This is the technical specification.
                  http://www.fixtools.com.ar/pdf/desta...io_destaco.pdf

thanks in advance
                  Only the official forum can give official answers, but this is almost certainly illegal because it includes a DC motor which is not mentioned in <RE09>.

Also, you should probably start a new thread rather than post in unrelated ones (even unrelated ones with a vague header).
                  John McDonnell
                  Volunteer, former mentor

Comment

We are using extrusion rods for claw. Its very slippery holding stone block. Any suggestion? thanks

Comment

Try wrapping your rods with some sort of grippy material such as rubber. We are currently wrapping our claw in thin grippy surgical tubing, but anything rubbery should work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by FTC16390 View Post
                        We are using extrusion rods for claw. Its very slippery holding stone block. Any suggestion? thanks
                        Wrapping them in something like EPDM rubber, or surgical tubing, will do the trick nicely.
                        Grip tape also works.

Comment

Thank you will check

Comment

Working...
                          X