Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shorter (more compact) PowerPole connector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billfred
    replied
    Originally posted by FTC4160 View Post
    We also designed our robot with a specific area for the modules in advance, preferring long connections to motors or servos and short connections to the PDM. We also crimp custom length power wires to alleviate some wiring issues.
    ^^^ This is pretty good advice as well. The effects are smaller in a FIRST Tech Challenge robot compared to larger machines, but every inch of wire on your robot adds resistance.

To do the math, I turned to this calculator that's set to a NeveRest 40 gearmotor (whose stock wire is 18 AWG) at stall. Running an unnecessary 6" of 18 AWG wire on each of four stalled drive motors would cost you about 0.3 volts (or about 2.5% of the original voltage) from the resistance. Which is a heck of a lot better than a FIRST Robotics Competition robot stalling CIM motors (you'd lose over a full volt there), but it's not chump change either. So there is some incentive to keep wire runs short and neat (and yes, with some strain relief too).

(Full disclosure: I work for AndyMark which sells the PowerPole connectors and crimper you'd logically use after cutting the wires down to size. But I'd say the same thing if I was anywhere else too. )

Leave a comment:

• FTC4160
    replied
    Before the MR modules, many teams used HiTechnic controllers which have screw terminals for power. They were much more compact. Our team has purchased L-shaped USB cables from L-Com to help shorten the overall length of the module when installed on the robot. We also designed our robot with a specific area for the modules in advance, preferring long connections to motors or servos and short connections to the PDM. We also crimp custom length power wires to alleviate some wiring issues.

Leave a comment:

• Billfred
    replied
    Originally posted by FTC4924 View Post
    the power pole connector* is larger than it needs to be (I think). This uses up a lot of space.
    Is there a shorter or L-shaped (or generally more compact) version of this?

(image snip)

* http://modernroboticsinc.com/powerpo...sion-cable-kit

-clay
    I looked at Anderson Power Products' booklet for the PP15-45 range (PDF link), and I saw nothing to indicate a shorter connector exists in that line. From my own experiences using them, the extra length is nice both for the solidity of the terminal's mount inside and for some mild strain relief on the wire should it get bent in some direction.

That's not to say there aren't alternatives out there (though you should, as always, check the manual to ensure legality), but the PowerPole is the PowerPole.

Leave a comment:

• FTC4924
    started a topic Shorter (more compact) PowerPole connector?

Shorter (more compact) PowerPole connector?

the power pole connector* is larger than it needs to be (I think). This uses up a lot of space.
    Is there a shorter or L-shaped (or generally more compact) version of this?

* http://modernroboticsinc.com/powerpo...sion-cable-kit

-clay
Working...
X