Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronics not working

Looking for some much needed help.

The kids went to try some driver practice today after fixing one of the particle shooter motors (had to change out a pinion gear), anyway robot phone could not detect any of the Core modules.
    No programming has changed
    Battery was fully charged
    Phones fully charged
    Checked all connections

Any suggestions???

The robot ran fine at competition 2 weeks ago
    Dave - Mentor
    CVTM Robotics Team 6966 (Bat Bots) Rookie Season 2013/14
    CVTM Robotics Team 8257 (Bond Bots) Rookie Season 2014/15

Is the blue light on beside the P6 port on the Power Distribution Module? This should be on when the phone is connected to the PDM and the PDM is powered on. That will also help us diagnose what might be happening.

Comment

Everything lights up like it is suppose to
      Dave - Mentor

Comment

Have you tried the MR Troubleshooting Guide? (Website appears to be down, but google has it cached).

Comment

Will be going through it later this morning. Thanks for the link
          Dave - Mentor

Comment

Went through the help directions, went through and tested each module with Core Discovery Program and all modules were fine. Talked with Colton (great to deal with) from Modern Robotics and discovered it was an issue with the USB hub on the power module as all USB were unreadable. Module is going back for a look see.
            Dave - Mentor

Comment

This is FTC Team 11155. Our team experienced the same issue. We had a sudden loss of all USB connections after our brand new module worked for about two weeks. We tested each individual module using Core Discovery Program and they are all fine. The Power Distribution Module is the problem. We have contacted Modern Robotics and they said that they are going to take a look.
              We have two days before the next competition, and we had to do a overnight order of a new one which is very costly. I am wondering how many spare power distribution modules a team should have? We have already went through two of them after the first 6 months. What is the average time that a power distribution module goes out? Are we on the unlucky side or this is the norm?

Michelle
              Coach Clash of Coders Team 11155Rookie Season 2016

Comment

Of the half-dozen or so teams I worked with last year and this year, I have only seen one PDM failure, and that one was physically trashed - not a 'random' failure. I don't claim my experience is typical, but unless there's a 'bad batch' of PDMs running around, I wouldn't expect PDMs to be 'consumables'. For PDMs going back to MR, has anyone gotten a root cause failure analysis report, or were they just 'fixed'? Without knowing specifically what failed, it is hard to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Note that according to the rules, you can also use another suitable USB hub, but unfortunately only in addition rather than instead of the hub function of the PDM and be compliant. Since the phone must connect to the PDM and only an output of the PDM can be connected to the 'other' hub, you can't bypass a bad PDM hub.

Comment

We have a spare module and sensor for each device on the robot in case something goes bad at a competition. The only PDM we have ever had go bad was because of our own fault of plugging a battery into it that had the Anderson Connections reversed.

Comment

Just an update, we sent the power module back and Modern Robotics determined it was not user error (nothing we did to it!!) They then sent us a new replacement!! Great customer service!!
                    Dave - Mentor

Comment

Working...
                    X