Announcement

Collapse

Technology Forum Has Moved!

The FIRST Tech Challenge Technology forum has moved to a new location! Please take a look at our forum blog for links and instructions on how to access the new forum.

The official blog of the FIRST Tech Challenge - a STEM robotics programs for students grades 7-12.

Note that volunteers (except for FTA/WTA/CSA will still access their role specific forum through this site. The blog also outlines how to access the volunteer forums.
See more
See less

adb debugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adb debugging

I am new to Android debugging. Does anybody know if System.out.print will output to logcat? If so, is there a way to redirect the logcat stream to my own console terminal program? I read a little about logcat and it seems the phone side (Robot Controller) has open two TCP ports: 5555 being the adb port and 5554 being the "console port". What is this console port? Is this a serial terminal stream? If so, can a network terminal tool open this console port and receive the logcat stream? Logcat stream is quite noisy, I would like to filter out stuff and only see the debug output I put out. I have a network terminal tool that supports ANSI escape sequence (i.e. it supports color font). So if my debug output prefixed with these ANSI escape sequences, my output will be a different color which makes it easier to spot. I also notice the logcat stream from within Android studio will sometimes change color. Does it mean I can achieve the same thing without my special network terminal tool? If so, how?

Logcat natively supports filtering, checkout its developer docs.

Comment

System.out.print does not print to Logcat. You have to use the Android logging API, here are some instructions.

Comment

archimedespi,
        as it happens, for another project, I was just trying System.out.print on an Android device and it did show up in the Android Studio console among logcat messages...
        I have yet to confirm this on a Speed phone.
        That said, I agree that the Android logging API is anyway a better bet.
        Thanks,
        Martin Haeberli
        Mentor, Team 7593 TigerBots

Comment

You can try Android's Log API. You can use Log.i(String TAG, String message);
          Vinay Jagan,
          Techie Titans FTC Team #9901
          http://techietitans-ftc.com

Comment

I tried this on the ZTE Speed -
            System.out.println("Hello BlinkOp");
            resulted in
            10-22 17:09:06.201 12032-13285/com.qualcomm.ftcrobotcontroller I/System.out: Hello BlinkOp

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎