Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NeveRest motors with legacy motor controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeveRest motors with legacy motor controller?

Can you use the NeveRest motors with the legacy motor controller?

I ask because my team will be buying some more NeveRests (We already have 4), but we only have two Modern Robotics controllers.

Yes, you can. The Neverest motors have PowerPole connectors on them, so you'll need to either make converters from PowerPoles to wires (ideally with ferrules on them), or just cut off the PowerPoles.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheer4FTC View Post
      Yes, you can. The Neverest motors have PowerPole connectors on them, so you'll need to either make converters from PowerPoles to wires (ideally with ferrules on them), or just cut off the PowerPoles.
      Thanks. That saves us $80 for another MR controller....

I was just concerned that the legacy controllers wouldn't know how to control them properly. I know it's an analog motor, but the MR controllers let you set which type of motor is attached, so I sort of assumed that the controller has to specifically support NeveRest motors...

So I'm assuming you've done it with success then? Because we need the maximum RPM from our motors.

Comment

Yes, we've done it with success. There's no problem running open-loop control with Neverest motors using the old Hitechnic motor controllers.

The "setting which type of motor" in the software/controllers is for if you're using encoders and then using the on-board controller PID control to precisely control the speed or specific rotation. I think that the internal PID settings on the old controllers are set for the Tetrix encoder counts so PID control of Neverest motors using encoders may be trickier. But you can definitely read the encoder values from both types of motors with the old controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheer4FTC View Post
          Yes, we've done it with success. There's no problem running open-loop control with Neverest motors using the old Hitechnic motor controllers.

The "setting which type of motor" in the software/controllers is for if you're using encoders and then using the on-board controller PID control to precisely control the speed or specific rotation. I think that the internal PID settings on the old controllers are set for the Tetrix encoder counts so PID control of Neverest motors using encoders may be trickier. But you can definitely read the encoder values from both types of motors with the old controllers.
          That's great to hear. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X