Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Station Control System Software to 6.1 WITHOUT Google Play

Greetings All:

As version 6.1 is not available on Google Play what is the recommended method to replace or upgrade the Driver Station app on the phone ? Will the recommended REV Hardware Client also be able to perform this task on the phone ?

I was unable to find this information on the forum or on wiki and thought I will post before experimenting - Of course we plan to back up our code.

We are using blocks for Ultimate Goal season and have Moto E4 Android, Control Hub and Expansion hub.

We were able to install the new release 6.0 for the Driver Station using Google Play. We downloaded the Robot Controller Release 6.0 FtcRobotController-release.apk from Git hub and successfully upgraded from PC connected by WiFi Direct using the Robot Controller Manage console.

We want to upgrade both DS and RC as we are aware of team blast that new version 6.1 was released on Dec 17th and I can see the new APK files in the Git Hub. I see there are some interesting improvements and fixes in the release.

Thanks and good luck for the season - trust all are keeping safe !

Best Regards

The REV control hub manual shows how to use the REV hardware client and shows how to download and install the apk manually -
    https://docs.revrobotics.com/rev-con...er-application

Comment

Our team sideloaded the APK of the updated FTC Driver Station app to the phone using file transfer with TeamViewer. For this, TeamViewer needed to be installed on the phone and a host computer, and the phone & computer connected by USB.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCarFTC View Post
        As version 6.1 is not available on Google Play what is the recommended method to replace or upgrade the Driver Station app on the phone ... I can see the new APK files in the Git Hub.
        Hi CoolCar, you are on the right track. From your Driver Station phone, browse to the Driver Station APK in the releases page of the FtcRobotController repo on GitHub. Select the FtcDriverStation-release.apk file to download it to the phone. After downloading, you will have the option to install it to the phone.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback 3805Mentor mcole Alec.

I will install the FTC Driver Station 6.1 by downloading the .apk file on the phone. I will also update the Control hub to 6.1 using the REV hardware client to ensure both DS and RC are on same versions.

Is uninstalling the existing DS app recommended prior to this install ?
          I suppose "sideloading" has the same normal technical meaning that we are installing this .apk using the download / transfer method to the android phone instead of using Google Play store.

Understand from various other chatter that decoupling from Google store is good for FTC control software to overcome the Google store limitations.

Regards

Comment

If you're going to use the REV Hardware Client software for the Control Hub use it for the driver station as well. This is by far the easiest way to do it.

Comment

...I suppose "sideloading" has the same normal technical meaning that we are installing this .apk using the download / transfer method to the android phone instead of using Google Play store.
              Generally, "sideloading" means getting an APK file on the phone by some means other than the Play Store.

You don't need "TeamViewer", "REV Hardware Client", "USB", or any additional steps to get the Driver Station APK on the phone. You can get the APK file on the phone directly from the Internet.

Is uninstalling the existing DS app recommended prior to this install?
              No, you don't need to un-install the existing app.

Comment

The one thing you should note about using a phone with the REV Hardware Client is that you need to enable USB debugging: https://developer.android.com/studio/debug/dev-options.

You also might need to install Motorola's drivers: https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Alec View Post

Generally, "sideloading" means getting an APK file on the phone by some means other than the Play Store.

You don't need "TeamViewer", "REV Hardware Client", "USB", or any additional steps to get the Driver Station APK on the phone. You can get the APK file on the phone directly from the Internet.

No, you don't need to un-install the existing app.
                  Thank you. Simpler the better for us.

Comment

If anyone comes across this in the future -- the easiest way to do this is to "sideload" the APK as follows...

Download the "FtcDriverStation-release.apk" from the following link -- https://github.com/FIRST-Tech-Challe...eases/tag/v6.1

Connect your Driver Station phone to your computer -- and at your command prompt -- use the following command

adb install C:\(where-ever-your-file-is)\FtcDriverStation-release.apk

Note, we needed to uninstall the version that was on the phone first -- but then this worked great!

Comment

Working...
                    X