Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Gamepad on Autonomous Post-Initialization (Pre-Randomization)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Gamepad on Autonomous Post-Initialization (Pre-Randomization)

The name pretty much explains the concept, and it's obvious why this could be an interesting question.

Our specific use-case is an Autonomous mode that loads other programs, which can be selected by using the D-Pad. If we had a separate Autonomous OpMode for every WIP program, it would get unwieldy quickly, not to mention it would be tedious to set up all of those OpModes.

The pertinent rules from Ultimate Goal (last year) seem to be:
    The Robot is set up on the Playing Field with the following required constraints:
    4) Op Mode – The Drive Team uses their Driver Station Android device to select an Op Mode. Pressing
    the Driver Station Init button is not required unless it is needed for the Robot to satisfy the Match start
    size constraint.

Once the Match Manager gives the set-up complete signal:
    1) ...
    2) The Drive Team may not touch their Driver Station or controllers until the Autonomous Period has
    ended, except to initialize and/or start their Autonomous program using the Driver Station Android
    device screen. A Robot that requires Autonomous program initialization to satisfy the Robot starting
    size constraint must be initialized before Match Manager gives the set-up complete signal.

This current rule seems to allow extra initialization steps before the "set-up complete signal." My question is if I am correct in my assessment, and when the set-up complete signal actually happens. Could someone help with that?

You are correct in your interpretation.

The team I coach often has just one Autonomous opmode, and then after init, but before the refs signal that it's time to randomize the field, they select various things. Like if they are Red or Blue autonomous, which starting position they are in, how many seconds delay they want (to allow alliance partner to clear out first), etc.

This kind of setup is not uncommon for the more advanced teams that realize there are just too many combinations of possibilities to have unique opmodes for each one of them.

It does require the team to pay more attention to the field personnel so they are done making their selections before it is time to randomize the field. (i.e. the "setup complete signal") otherwise they may not have made one of their choices and they just have to run with what they have.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The rule changed; this may no longer be legal. I recommend checking it out again.

Comment

Specifically, from the article at https://firstinspiresst01.blob.core....t-2-remote.pdf, 4.5.1, article 2d, clause iv

Comment

Keep in mind that is the remote game manual. I doubt you're making selections for remote gameplay.

Comment

Nevermind. It says the same thing in traditional.

Comment

I think this is a question that needs to be in the Q&A. We have always had a single autonomous where the students selected which auto routine to run during the init_loop as part of setup. I don't see a reason that should be illegal. When Q&A opens, it should be asked there.

Comment

My team also has a single autonomous opmode, and we make the specific movement selections during the init period. One additional thing we do is save the selections (like alliance color and starting position) in a text file on the RC whenever a selection is made. Each time the Auto OpMode starts, it reads this text file to pre-select the last selections. So if we ever have to re-init for some reason (like a false start), we don't have to make all the selections again.

So, if touching any gamepad buttons were actually made illegal after pressing INIT at the field (which I double is the intent of that clause) then we'd just set the auto modes before placing the robot on the field (say, during queueing) and they would automatically get used for the next match start.

Comment

We'll definitely consider doing that; the only problem is that the drivers will need to remember to do this during queuing, and at some competitions, that gets tough (especially when the robot is being repaired in between matches).

I do hope that doing this at the field will be legal; if it isn't, I'd like to know why the rule was changed.

Comment

Originally posted by rdrpenguin View Post
                      ...I do hope that doing this at the field will be legal; if it isn't, I'd like to know why the rule was changed.
                      4.5.1.3b suggests that you are allowed to touch the Driver Stations and controllers after 4.5.1.2d.iii [Init] and before the "set-up complete signal".

Comment

Except I feel that 4.5.1.2d.iv supercedes that; "Drive Teams may not touch their Driver Stations or controllers until the Autonomous
                        Period
                        has ended, except to start their Autonomous program with a single touch to the
                        Driver Station Android device screen using the built-in thirty-second timer." There is nothing in between 4.5.1.2d.iii and 4.5.1.2d.iv; this is what concerns me.

Comment

Originally posted by rdrpenguin View Post
                          Except I feel that 4.5.1.2d.iv supercedes that; "Drive Teams may not touch their Driver Stations or controllers until the Autonomous
                          Period
                          has ended, except to start their Autonomous program with a single touch to the
                          Driver Station Android device screen using the built-in thirty-second timer." There is nothing in between 4.5.1.2d.iii and 4.5.1.2d.iv; this is what concerns me.
                          The Game Q&A forum will be open for business on October 4, so we will find out for sure by October 8.

In the meantime, there are better ways to configure autonomous. You can use a toggle switch on the bot to switch between Red and Blue alliance, or use a color sensor or a camera to detect the color or shape of the bot's Alliance Marker.

Comment

... You can use additional switches and pots to configure other parameters, or better yet the bot can scan a QR code to read any number of configuration parameters... lots of fun.

Comment

I asked this on the Q&A forum as Q38 today. https://ftc-qa.firstinspires.org/qa/38

Comment

Working...
                              X