Updating Older AndroidTextToSpeech Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Older AndroidTextToSpeech Code

I have a demo robot from 3 years ago that I use in class. (It worked great back then.) I have just updated the hardware to the current Control Hub and Driver Hub combo, along with updating firmware, OS and apps. I was surprised to find that my app basically runs. But I have a few incompatibilities to adapt to the newer FIRST environment.

I'm starting with AndroidTextToSpeech... The speaker does make a click like an audio subsystem is being initialized, but no voice comes out.

Questions:
    1. Can AndroidTextToSpeech still work, or is it obsolete/non-functional? (If so, does anyone remember what changed? What the new requirements are?)

2. I see the new telemetry.speak(), but I can't find any documentation on it. Can anyone point me to doco for this? (Specifically looking to analyze how it differs from AndroidTextToSpeech, what it's benefits or limitations are.)

Thanks in advance for any help or modern examples.

I don't remember for sure, but didn't the robot controller phone do the speech? Is there a speaker on the control hub?

Comment

Originally posted by 3805Mentor View Post
      I don't remember for sure, but didn't the robot controller phone do the speech? Is there a speaker on the control hub?
      Interesting. telemetry.speak("Stuff to say") works fine, outputting via the driver hub. But if TTS outputs via the robot controller, it would explain the problem. Because it is a demo robot, I've been using bluetooth. But I can't remember which phone was connected to the speaker.

Will look into whether the control hub can output sound (and how). Thanks.

Comment

The Control Hub does not have a speaker, but you might be able to get it to work with a Bluetooth speaker.

Comment

Working...
        X