Setting motor Velocity in Blocks crashes at runtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting motor Velocity in Blocks crashes at runtime

I have version 5.4 on a Moto E4 with a REV Expansion Hub, and I'm trying the velocity options of the motor commands for the first time. I've used setVelocity successfully in Onbot Java, but I didn't realize until today that this was even available in Blocks. I used the technique of reporting velocity in telemetry, and setting motor power to 1, in order to read the max velocity of the motor. Then I tried setting the velocity to 0.3 x maxV, and it crashes with a "Fatal error occurred while executing the block..." and requires a restart in order to clear the error state.

Next I took the generated Java code from Blocks, and tried building it in Onbot. Here is the line of code in Onbot Java:

Code:
    ((DcMotorEx) motorL).setVelocity(0.3*3420.0);
    Onbot build gives an error that a second parameter is needed for setVelocity. So apparently this blocks generated code is not exactly right. Has anyone else tried using setVelocity in Blocks?

I'm unable to reproduce an error in OBJ with the line you provided on a clean 5.4 install.

Comment

Nor can I reproduce a runtime error in Blocks when using the setVelocity block on a clean 5.4 install.

Comment

Thank you for trying. Here's the full code snippet and the error message I get:

Code:
        package org.firstinspires.ftc.teamcode;

import com.qualcomm.robotcore.eventloop.opmode.Autonomous ;
        import com.qualcomm.robotcore.eventloop.opmode.LinearOpMo de;
        import com.qualcomm.robotcore.hardware.DcMotorEx;
        import com.qualcomm.robotcore.hardware.DcMotor;

@Autonomous(name = "OnbotVelocityTest2", group = "Station")
        public class OnbotVelocityTest2 extends LinearOpMode {
        private DcMotorEx motorL;

@Override
        public void runOpMode() {
        motorL = hardwareMap.get(DcMotorEx.class, "motorL");
        motorL.setMode(DcMotor.RunMode.RUN_USING_ENCODER);
        waitForStart();
        while (opModeIsActive()) {
        motorL.setVelocity(0.3*3420);
        }
        }
        }
        Code:
        Build started at Sun Jun 14 2020 16:44:22 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
        org/firstinspires/ftc/teamcode/OnbotVelocityTest2.java line 18, column 13: ERROR: method setVelocity in interface com.qualcomm.robotcore.hardware.DcMotorEx cannot be applied to given types;
        required: double,org.firstinspires.ftc.robotcore.external.na vigation.AngleUnit
        found: double
        reason: actual and formal argument lists differ in length

Build FAILED!

Build finished in 0.4 seconds
        Attached Files

Comment

I still can't reproduce even with the full code you sent.

Are you sure you're on RC5.4 (not just DS5.4)?

Capture.PNG

Comment

Thanks again. I resolved my issue with Onbot by resetting the Onbot system, using Settings > Advanced Settings > Reset . Onbot was in weird way after the apk was updated. But back to the original Blocks issue: I actually had a dual-motor set block. Single-motor set velocity does work fine for me, but dual-motor set velocity still crashes. Can you see if you can reproduce with dual-motor block please?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by msnyder2018 View Post
              Thanks again. I resolved my issue with Onbot by resetting the Onbot system, using Settings > Advanced Settings > Reset . Onbot was in weird way after the apk was updated. But back to the original Blocks issue: I actually had a dual-motor set block. Single-motor set velocity does work fine for me, but dual-motor set velocity still crashes. Can you see if you can reproduce with dual-motor block please?
              Aha, now that I can reproduce on 5.4. I'll pass this bug report on to the Tech Team.

Comment

Yeah, it's definitely a bug in blocks. The way that blocks works is that it generates javascript code that is then executed on the robot controller. The javascript code can call a special layer of Java code in the FTC SDK. In this case (and I believe for the setDualTargetPositionTolerance block as well), the special layer is missing the methods for these blocks. I can fix it. Until the fix is released, a good workaround is to use the separate single motor blocks.

Comment

Actually, it looks like setDualTargetPositionTolerance might be working ok.

Comment

Working...
                  X