Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moto G4 Play won't update to version 7.0

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moto G4 Play won't update to version 7.0

    Our phone is Moto G4 Play android version 6.0. Game manual says minimum requirement is 7.0 but we cannot get it to update. Any thoughts?

  • #2
    I haven't tried this, but here's a manual update article.

    https://www.droidguides.com/update-m...cial-firmware/

    Comment


    • #3
      FTC248

      We have Moto G4 Play phones, Verizon locked, originally from the FIRST Storefront. They all self-updated to Android 7.1.1 after touching Settings/About Phone/System Updates. Didn't need and didn't try the manual installation linked above by 3805Mentor

      Comment


      • #4
        The minimum Android version for the Moto G4 Play has been reduced to version 6.0 for the 2021-2022 season (game manual link: https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/...nal-events.pdf)

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you NoahAndrews!! We use G4 and we are not able to update to the latest FTC app. Anyone run into the same issue?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cbrobot View Post
            Thank you NoahAndrews!! We use G4 and we are not able to update to the latest FTC app. Anyone run into the same issue?
            Are you trying to update through google play? The apps have been pulled from the play store. You can use either the REV Hardware Client or download the APKs from github: https://github.com/FIRST-Tech-Challe...eases/tag/v7.0

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 4634 Programmer View Post

              Are you trying to update through google play? The apps have been pulled from the play store. You can use either the REV Hardware Client or download the APKs from github: https://github.com/FIRST-Tech-Challe...eases/tag/v7.0
              The bug seems to be that the download/install procedure is not documented very clearly, or not at all, in the following guides:The guides are on the FIRST website at Programs / FIRST Tech Challenge / Resource Library / Programming Resources.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you @4634 Programmer and Alec. Appreciate the quick resp. You saved us bunch of time. Will try the steps defined.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Our team is also having the problem with the moto g4 play being stuck on Android 6.0. If we try to do a System Update it just says that no updates are available.

                  we have integrated FTCLib and need 7.0. We would try the manual update but the file in the instructions returns a 404.

                  any suggestions?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lydiaD View Post
                    Our team is also having the problem with the moto g4 play being stuck on Android 6.0...
                    Hi Lydia, Game manual says Android 6.0 is allowed on Moto G4 Play.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks, Alec!
                      We were just hoping to use FTCLib and we need 7.0 to support minSdkVersion 24

                      "Because FTCLib makes use of advanced features, you need to increase the minSdkVersion to 24. Unfortunately, this means that ZTE Speed Phones are not supported in this release."
                      https://github.com/FTCLib/FTCLib

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lydiaD View Post
                        Thanks, Alec!
                        We were just hoping to use FTCLib and we need 7.0 to support minSdkVersion 24

                        "Because FTCLib makes use of advanced features, you need to increase the minSdkVersion to 24. Unfortunately, this means that ZTE Speed Phones are not supported in this release."
                        https://github.com/FTCLib/FTCLib
                        I feel your pain. The quickest and most cost effective path might be to buy a newer phone. I know the choices are limited. I feel your pain.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have a G4 Play that's stuck on 6.0.1, too, and can't find a file to update. Looking at the FTCLib core source code, there are a lot of dependencies on Java 8 features, especially in the java.util package. I wondered if "desugaring" along with "overrideLibrary" might provide a workaround, but that only resulted in an FtcRobotController app that crashed as soon as it started. I wonder if someone who actually knows what they are doing with Android would be able to get that approach to work.

                          Might be easiest to just get a used phone (like an E5 or G5 Plus) on ebay.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jkenney View Post
                            I have a G4 Play that's stuck on 6.0.1, too, and can't find a file to update. Looking at the FTCLib core source code, there are a lot of dependencies on Java 8 features, especially in the java.util package. I wondered if "desugaring" along with "overrideLibrary" might provide a workaround, but that only resulted in an FtcRobotController app that crashed as soon as it started. I wonder if someone who actually knows what they are doing with Android would be able to get that approach to work.

                            Might be easiest to just get a used phone (like an E5 or G5 Plus) on ebay.
                            Chances are your personal Android Phone or Tablet works perfectly fine with FTCLib and the FTC SDK. You can do your development and testing with your personal Android device until you are able to procure a legal phone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I can agree with that point about using a different phone until you can secure newer models. Regardless of software factors, the G4 is likely not going to be legal for much longer down the road, and an upgrade to a Control Hub or a more modern phone like an E4 or E5 is highly recommended. Best Buy sells E5s at very cheap prices ($30-40) so if you have one relatively near it would be highly worth checking it out.

                              I am a developer for FTCLib myself, and we use Java 8 for a lot of things, including lambda expressions as probably the biggest factor, as well as other Java 8 features. We also have the Kotlin dependency for Java 8. The reason we choose to do this was that the amount of teams using those older phones is small as they are quickly becoming, if they aren't already, obsolete.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X